Sunday, August 16, 2015

Our 2nd Grade Curriculum Choices

So much has changed throughout our homeschooling adventures! Last I wrote, we were using Heart of Dakota's core curriculum with both girls. At the time, I thought we would for sure be staying with them for the long haul. Word of advice: never claim you will stick with a curriculum. You never know where life will take you. Your homeschooling needs could change at any second. Last year I began working from home part of the year. This requires me to be on top of things and also use some curriculum that can be independent at least part of the time.

So now to update.

Brina is now a 2nd grader. I am still not sure how this happened exactly. She is a wonderful reader and catches on to most things quickly. She is, however, very literal in how she understands things. Abstract concepts are very difficult for her. Knowing this has helped me narrow down curriculum choices for her. Here is her curriculum lineup:

Core Curriculum: My Father's World Adventures
I chose this curriculum after deciding to leave Beyond Little Hearts. We greatly enjoyed Beyond, but I wanted to try a curriculum where I could combine my girls. I also just needed a change. When looking for a new core, I had a list of wants. I wanted something I could combine the girls in, something that used a combo of classic literature and more up to date suggestions, something with hands-on learning and hopefully something Christ-centered. After much deliberation, we took the plunge into MFW Adventures.


Math: Christian Light Education Grade 2
This is the second year we have used CLE. Its traditional, spiral approach provides a great math foundation.

Grammar: Growing with Grammar Level 2




Spelling: Soaring with Spelling Level 1
I had a hard time choosing spelling. We loved All About Spelling but it is very teacher intensive. I am hoping this works out for us.



Writing: Write Shop Primary B
While I know that writing is not necessary at this age, it is a skill I am passionate about. I want writing to be fun while teaching them how to convey messages in a coherent way.



Reading: Lots of good books
I want to instill a love of reading in my children. To reach this end goal,  I have decided to give Brina an array of books to choose from during the year. We might complete one or two literature guides, but she will get to assist me with those choices.We have forever to worry about analyzing literature. I am more worried in her finding the joy in curling up with a good book.

We are currently about to begin our 6th week of this school year. It has been going amazingly well. We will take a week break after this week for planning and refreshing. I am hoping a Sabbath schooling schedule will work well for us this year. I hope you enjoyed hearing about our 2nd grade curriculum selections! I will post Siri's kindergarten lineup sometime this week!


No comments:

Post a Comment